Learn more about how to train your staff to be Breastfeeding Welcome
Created by Breastfeeding Welcome Scheme admin
To be part of the Breastfeeding Welcome Scheme venues must meet all of the criteria in the Breastfeeding Welcome checklist and ensuring that your staff are aware of how to implement your Breastfeeding Welcome policy is key.
It’s easy to train and support your staff to create a welcoming atmosphere for breastfeeding mothers. You can easily adapt any existing staff training or induction programme concerning customer service to include the needs and rights of breastfeeding mothers. There are simple ways your staff can support breastfeeding mothers, including:
• Stop for a brief chat to make it clear that mothers are welcome to breastfeed
• Offer a chair, if one is available
• Explain that you can make a private place available if she’d like, if possible
• Offer her a glass of water if you can, breastfeeding can be thirsty work
• If you work in a venue that serves food and drink, offer to bring her drink/food over to her, or go to her and take her order once she has settled her baby.
If you would like to learn more about how to go Breastfeeding Welcome please visit http://www.breastfeedingwelcomescheme.org.uk/go_bfw/